Our Boomer Life Top five favourite Golf Courses in San Diego
There are more than 600 public courses to play scattered throughout California. So much golf. This area is loaded and we have played many. If you are looking to travel to the San Diego area, our top picks suggest challenging unique courses to suit your game and your budget.
- Aviara – The Park Hyatt Resort, Golf Club and Spa offers this beautiful 18 hole golf course that runs along the pacific ocean coastline in Carlsbad California. This Arnold Palmer course has been home of the LPGA KIA classic and rated 5 star. ***** Golf digest has rated them one of the best in America. The lush flowers and waterfalls will distract you on this very difficult course but the memories you make will last a lifetime. http://www.golfaviara.com
- Maderas – This course makes our list every year.We can play and replay this course and never get tired of it.The clubhouse is bright and welcoming first thing in the morning. This Troon team is professional and deliver a great golf experience. The diverse landscape will take your breath away where each hole is very unique with long rolling fairways. Maderas has been a top rated course in California since 2000. “Every hole will bring its own reward.” http://www.maderasgolf.com #withmytrooncard
- Steele Canyon – this course was recommended by a stranger.THANK YOU. “It was a wonderful day of golf.” It is in Jamul, south of the typical inland empire but what a beautiful surprise, it has 5 star views. There are 27 holes designed by Gary Player. First is the Canyon course with some dramatic elevations. The Ranch course winds through a working ranch and the Vineyard course stretches along the valley floor. Gary always adds unique south African trees to the landscape. http://www.steelecanyon.com
- The Journey at Pechanga –Golfweek ranking The Journey #25th Best Public Course in California. We discovered this 5 star “thrilling”golf experience in the Temecula wine country. The Pechanga Resort and casino is wholly owned by the Pechanga Band and opened in 2002. In 2015 , a $285 million dollar expansion was started which adds to this AAA Four Diamond award winner. There are mountain holes 300 feet above the valley and you will drive more than 7 miles of cart paths and wooden bridges to” play golf on another level”. http://www.pechanga.com
- La Costa Golf Resort & Spa is in the Omni Resort group. There are legendary stories from the beginning of the resort being built as a retreat for the family. Legendary players have all played here. There are two courses, the Champions Course and the Legends Course which must contribute to the great pace of play. The course winds through condo developments and homes but does not detract from your game. Elevated greens and water come into play. Locals love this course, it has so much history and character. There is a stay and play offer which may be very interesting. http://www.lacostaresort.com
All of these courses are playable and they will thrill you and challenge you, just play from the right tees and enjoy.
always in friendship,
Lyle & Wendy